Saturday 4 May 2013

Harry.







This is a poem which was actually published by Poetry24, but something I have not published elsewhere due to the fact that I went off it immediately as a sub-standard, ill-thought-out and little revised piece of writing. Its saving grace is the pressing home of the image which initially sent me into the fit of anger required to write the piece and that is done by repeating "seven seconds in" - the precise time in the BBC interview linked where Harry says "take a life to save a life" and grins like a Hollywood star.

Harry.



I have now deleted from my life,
An army man and an army wife,
It twisted, twisted and twisted, the knife,
I saw no option.


I questioned not the courage there,
Nor intent to prove a care,
Nor the man of action rare,
But blind obedience.



If I a parcel of vain strivings tied,
It is the horse’s conscience you provide,
So friendship for honour's sake has died,
And suffered greatly.



It was the praise of Harry’s sin,
Applauded seven seconds in,
His ominous and passing grin,
Precisely seven seconds in,
That ominous and passing grin,
Which tipped me over.


I've not the time to argue, or,
The energy to make case, for,
The pulling from all foreign, war,
While ignorance of this magnitude reigns.







-

No comments:

Post a Comment